Monday 15 June 2015

Staying connected to the community.

Just a short one, since I've fallen behind schedule (but will catch up tonight!)

I spend a lot of time in an office these days. I evaluate computer file systems, read policy and procedure documents, update online content, scrutinise draft reports, etc. It's all interesting work, that contributes to a worthy greater goal of the organisation, but sometimes it's easy to feel disconnected with why we're here and what we're trying to do.

Then last week, I took an opportunity to meet with a librarian at the National Library of Kosovo (hello, if you're reading this!) and learn a bit about what they do there - which I will get around to blogging about soon, I promise. That afternoon, I also visited the American Corner with a few donations, and chatted with the staff there. On the weekend, I travelled to Macedonia to help a friend share our love of swing dancing with the community with some workshops and an evening social dance.

And it reminded me of how important these personal interactions are to me, especially in the work that I'm doing. It helps us better understand the issues that we're trying to address in our operations, it builds connections within the community, and it adds a personal touch, reminding us that we are all human and we're here to share our knowledge, experiences and culture in order to build a peaceful society.

And when it comes down to it, that's why we do what we do, right?

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment